中文裡有說屋漏偏逢連夜雨,實際上泛指所有倒霉的遭遇接踵而來,那麼英文里也有很多跟天氣有關的辭彙,組成俚語后,卻有著不同的含義
On cloud nine 九霄雲上(形容高興)
She has been on cloud nine since the magazine printed her photos.
自從那份雜誌發表了她的照片后,她高興得不得了。
fair-weather friend 酒肉朋友
I'm a bit disappointed in Jack. It turned out that he was only a fair-weather friend.
我對Jack有點失望,原來他是個酒肉朋友而已
How did you get wind of that terrific business deal ?
你是怎麼打聽到那筆好生意的?
Not so hot 不怎麼好,一般般
How are you today?
Not so hot, I am going to stay in bed and have a rest.
今天感覺如何?
不怎麼樣,我打算躺著歇一會
Chase the rainbow 做白日夢
Get down to your business! Stop chasing the rainbow.
做你自己的事兒吧,別白日做夢了
It never rains but it pours 禍不單行
First my car broke down, and then I lost my key. It never rains but it pours.
一開始我的車拋錨了,接著鑰匙還丟了,真是禍不單行啊
其實生活中有很多實用簡單的表達
都不會在課本上出現
華爾街英語「場景體驗式」教學
讓你身臨其境體驗最地道的英文
華爾街英語微信平台的冬粉已經突破100萬了!